Last Updated: November 4, 2020
Thank you for your interest in Oshi Health Inc. & Integrated GI Health Partners PLLC. Welcome! Oshi Health Inc. (also referred in this document as “Oshi Health”) is a technology company that offers a platform for you to receive personalized, supportive care for digestive conditions. Integrated GI Health Partners PLLC (also referred in this document as “Medical Group”) is a professional organization that hires healthcare practitioners and makes all medical decisions regarding your care.
This Informed Consent explains the risks, benefits, alternatives, and certain limitations of using virtual visits to receive medical care. Remote digital healthcare allows you to receive health care service in the convenience of your home. However, there are potential limitations like your doctor could find the information you transmitted is insufficient to make a medical decision, meaning you will have to go in-person to a doctor, or that despite our strong security measures, your information could be breached by a bad actor. Also, because your doctor cannot physically examine you in-person, there is a chance that certain diagnoses or issues could be missed and risk causing you significant bodily harm, or death.
The Medical Group that you will be connected to through Oshi Health uses a team-based approach. All care teams consist of multiple licensed physicians and other healthcare practitioners, and in any given encounter you may interact with multiple healthcare practitioners. This allows you to get better care faster.
Informed Consent to Participate in Telemedicine Consultation
The platform is not intended for the provision of clinical diagnosis requiring an in-person evaluation and you should not use it if you need immediate/urgent care. Integrated GI Health Partners PLLC does not provide emergency medical consultation or prescribe any controlled substances.
When in doubt, please call 911 or contact your local in-person healthcare professionals immediately.
Do not disregard, avoid, or delay in obtaining in-person care from your doctor or other qualified professional because of information or advice you received through this platform.
If you are thinking about suicide or if you are considering harming yourself or others or if you feel that any other person may be in any danger or if you have any medical emergency, you must immediately call the emergency service number (911 in the U.S.) and notify the relevant authorities. Seek immediate in-person assistance.
Telehealth involves the use of audio, visual, or other electronic communications to enable medical practitioners at different locations to share individual patient medical information for the purpose of providing patient care. Telehealth services offered by Integrated GI Health Partners, PLLC and its related practices (collectively the “Medical Group”) may also include chart review, remote prescribing, appointment scheduling, health information sharing, and non-clinical services, such as patient education. The information you provide may be used for diagnosis, therapy, medical triage, external referrals, follow-up and/or patient education, and may include any combination of the following: (1) health records and test results; (2) interactive, asynchronous or synchronous chat, audio, and/or video communications; (3) live two-way audio and video; or (4) output data from medical devices and sound and video files.
The Medical Group provides clinical services through a team-based care approach. All care teams consist of multiple licensed medical practitioners (“Medical Practitioners”), and in any given encounter, you may interact with multiple Medical Practitioners.
For purposes of health coaching services, it is important to understand that the services do not include the provision of medical care. Oshi Health health coaches are not acting in a health care professional capacity. Oshi Health health coaches do not provide any medical or clinical services, and do not diagnose, treat, or manage any illness, disease, or condition or hold themselves out as being able to do so. Oshi Health and its health coaches do not have expertise in diagnosing, examining, or treating medical or psychological conditions of any kind, or in determining the effect of any specific exercise on a medical condition. You should not change your treatment or care plan, medication or therapy based on information you received through the services or from one of our health coaches. Consultation with our health coaches is supplemental to any treatment or care provided by the Medical Practitioner and should not replace regular medical visits with the Medical Practitioner. Always seek the advice of the Medical Practitioner regarding your medical condition or the use (or frequency) of any medication or medical device. Information provided by our health coaches is offered for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation or endorsement of any drug, device or treatment or representation that a particular drug, device or treatment is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. Questions regarding any drug, device or treatment always should be directed to your healthcare Medical Practitioner. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in connection with our services. Always consult with your healthcare professional if you have any questions or concerns about your health or condition or experience any changes in your condition or health status. Oshi Health health coaches do not provide emergency services, time sensitive or urgent, remote or critical care services.
Integrated GI Health Partners PLLC contracts with medical practitioners specially trained in mental healthcare services who are trained to evaluate a person’s mental health and use psychotherapeutic techniques to improve mental health. The psychotherapeutic process involves a relationship between you and a trained clinician who has the desire and willingness to help you accomplish your individual goals. The benefits of therapy can include: a higher level of functional coping, solutions to specific problems, new insights into self, more effective means of communicating in relationships, symptomatic relief, and improved self-esteem.
While psychotherapeutic techniques can be of benefit to most people, the therapeutic process is not always helpful. The therapeutic process involves sharing sensitive, personal, and private information that may at times be distressing. The therapeutic process can evoke strong feelings and sometimes produce unanticipated changes in one’s behavior. It is important that you discuss with a clinician any questions or discomfort you have regarding the therapeutic process or any behavioral changes you may be experiencing. Your clinician may be able to help you understand the experience and/or use different methods or techniques that may be more satisfying.
Additionally, there are risks, benefits, and consequences associated with telemental health, including but not limited to, disruption of transmission by technology failures, interruption and/or breaches of confidentiality by unauthorized persons, and/or limited ability to respond to emergencies.
If we become aware of or contemplate an emergency, we may secure from any hospital, physician, and/or medical personnel (“Emergency Responders”) any emergency treatment that we deem necessary for your immediate care in our sole discretion. You understand and agree that, if we take any action to secure Emergency Responders on your behalf, you, and not we, will be solely responsible for payment of all medical services rendered in connection with that treatment.
- Improved access to care by enabling you to remain in your home while the Medical Practitioner obtains a medical history and orders labs, imaging, external referrals, or other medical workup at distant/other sites.
- More efficient care evaluation and management.
- Obtaining expertise of a specialist as appropriate.
- Delays in evaluation and treatment could occur due to deficiencies or failures of the equipment and technologies.
- The inability to conduct an in-person physical examination could result in misdiagnosis or delays inadequate care.
- The Medical Practitioner may determine that the transmitted information is of inadequate quality, thus necessitating a rescheduled telehealth consult or a meeting with a local in-person doctor.
- A lack of access to complete medical records may result in adverse drug interactions or allergic reactions or other errors.
- Security protocols could fail, causing a breach of privacy or personal medical information including but not limited to your contact information, protected health information, or mental health information.
Medical Information and Records
All laws applicable to medical records privacy and access apply to telemedicine. Dissemination of any patient identifiable images or information from your telemedicine visit require your consent. Our Notice of Privacy Practices describes how the Medical Group protects, uses, and discloses medical information about you and how you can get access to this information.
All existing confidentiality protections under federal and state law apply to information used or disclosed during your telemedicine visit.
Duties and Obligations
Oshi Health’s Medical practitioners have certain duties and obligations that may require the disclosure of your confidential information under certain situations, including, but not limited to:
a. A duty to warn about serious harm to myself.
b. A duty to warn about serious harm to others.
c. An obligation to report to the appropriate state agency current child abuse or neglect, elderly abuse, or otherwise disabled individual abuse.
d. An obligation to respond to a valid subpoena or court order seeking the disclosure of my records.
You may withhold or withdraw your consent to a telemedicine consultation at any time before and/or during the consult without affecting your right to future care or treatment, or risking the loss or withdrawal of any program benefits to which you would otherwise be entitled.
Texas Patients Only
NOTICE CONCERNING COMPLAINTS, Complaints about physicians, as well as other licensees and registrants of the Texas Medical Board, including physician assistants, acupuncturists, and surgical assistants may be reported for investigation at the following address: Texas Medical Board, Attention: Investigations, 333 Guadalupe, Tower 3, Suite 610, P.O. Box 2018, MC-263, Austin, Texas 78768-2018, Assistance in filing a complaint is available by calling the following telephone number: 1-800-201-9353, For more information, please visit our website at www.tmb.state.tx.us.
By accepting this consent, you acknowledge your understanding and agreement to the following:
- I understand that if I am concerned that I may be experiencing a medical emergency or that I may require urgent care, I should call 9-1-1 immediately and that Oshi Health Inc, Integrated GI Health Partners PLLC, and the Medical Practitioners are not an appropriate place to receive care nor are they able to connect me directly to any local emergency services.
- I hereby consent to receiving Medical Group’s services via telehealth technologies. I understand that Medical Group and Medical Practitioners offer telehealth-based medical services, but that these services do not replace the relationship between me and my in-person doctor, including my primary care doctor, in-person gastroenterologist, in-person mental health provider, or in-person dietician.
- I understand there is a risk of technical failures during the telehealth encounter beyond the control of the Medical Group. I agree to hold harmless the Medical Group for delays in evaluation or for information lost due to such technical failures.
- I understand that I have the right to withhold or withdraw my consent to the use of telehealth in the course of my care at any time, without affecting my right to future care or treatment. I understand that I may suspend or terminate use of the telehealth services at any time for any reason or for no reason without affecting my right to future care or treatment or risking the loss or withdrawal of any program benefits to which I would otherwise be entitled
- I understand that I may expect the anticipated benefits from the use of telehealth in my care but that no results can be guaranteed or assured.
- I understand that persons may be present during the consultation other than the Medical Practitioner in order to operate the telehealth technologies.
- I understand that if I participate in a telehealth consultation, that I have the right to request a copy of my medical records which will be provided to me at the reasonable cost of preparation, shipping, and delivery.
- I understand that the laws that protect privacy and the confidentiality of medical information also apply to telemedicine, and that no information obtained in the use of telemedicine which identifies me will be disclosed to researchers or other entities without my consent.
- My Medical Practitioner will give me an opportunity to ask questions about this information and ensure all of my questions have been answered. I have read the above and agree to a telemedicine consultation.